Ah, the Joys of Joy School.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

This week Sam started school. He was very excited and only slightly confused when he didn't actually leave to go to school. I was the teacher this week. So therefore, the kids came here and we started our rotation of Joy school. I was a bit hesitant to teach because my few talents don't lie in the same category as teacher, especially to a group of 3-4 year old's. But, I was lucky enough to be able to choose my own subject and I chose Art Appreciation. Yes, I did choose my favorite subject in school, and yes we did have a fabulous week! The kids meet Tue/Wed/Thur from 9 am to 11:30 am. We have a set schedule we go by. Circle time, alphabet time, snack time, play time, lesson etc. I had a hard time deciding which artists to highlight and what type of art to introduce to them. Then I realized, it didn't matter. So I printed off some pictures of some famous paintings and sculptures and art appreciation week began.

We looked at Art and talked about the paintings. We tried our hands at mimicking a famous artist's work, painted a mural and we even attempted sculpture.
Sam and Ben made towers every day out of the alphabet letters after alphabet time.
Asher and Stephen loved playing with the magnet animals, choosing different outfits for their super hero's!
Starry, Starry Night. Black paper makes a great night sky, and we used chalk to draw our stars.
With out even planning it, the hit of the week was "A" is for airplane! They wanted to make airplanes everyday out of their favorite colors.
Snack time!

Sculpture! I made white play dough, so they wouldn't stain their clothes. I was going to let their sculptures harden overnight so they could take them home the next day but then after trying unsuccessfully to get them to not destroy what they did make, I just sent them home with the play dough to keep.
Hard at work.
Alphabet time activity. Recognizing letters in their own names.
I think the hit of the week was painting our mural. This one, I let the kids do on their own. It was wild and fun, and I think the kids liked this project the best. Who doesn't like to make a big mess? and no one got in trouble for painting the wall today!

I hope the kids had as much fun as I did. They did awesome! I look forward to the next time I get to teach. It was crazy having all those kids around at once(even though 2 of the kids were absent this week!). I don't have to teach for a while and that's probably a good thing because I am worn out! To all those teachers out there-You rock! Teaching is tough stuff.

6 comments:

Unknown August 17, 2009 at 12:04 AM  

Jessica,
I wish that I was as ambitious as you are. I don't think that I could handle all the kids at my house. I love you. You rock!

Unknown August 17, 2009 at 12:05 AM  

That comment was from Christa Belle.

heather August 17, 2009 at 12:41 PM  

Love the ideas!! 4 boys all at once?! You are a saint! I can't wait till L is that big and we can do projects like this! Yay!

Mercy August 20, 2009 at 4:51 PM  

Great job! I never had the patience for Joy School despite how many times I was invited to join a group in my ward...finally this year all of my kids will be in school (for 5 hours a week at least). Hooray!!!

Michelle August 31, 2009 at 11:41 PM  

"and then I realized, it didn't matter" You are hysterical and fantastic! Very true! Love the starry night on black paper - brilliant. I wish I could have been at these art classes!

Eva / Sycamore Street Press October 16, 2009 at 11:27 AM  

So creative! Love the chalk starry night drawings...

Post a Comment

There are...

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP