Adventures & Grandparents

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Whenever my parents come to visit I'm reminded of all the reasons I live way too far away from family. Except, it doesn't make me sad, at least not until they leave. I will say though, that the undivided love and attention we get when they come feels extra special when we only get it in small chunks at a time. Such is life. I think we cherish the fleeting moments even more than we would otherwise.

Lucky for us they stayed for about 10 days. Long enough to fit in a few adventures and not feel rushed and tired all the time. Although, I do feel like I'm still recovering:)

My mother has a special love for lighthouses and she and my father have visited every lighthouse along the Oregon Coast. I however, have not, and there are a few I wanted to see. So two of the days they were here we ventured out to see two different lighthouses. One about an hour and a half south of us, in Cape Blanco, by Port Orford. And one about two hours north of us, Heceta Head, just outside of Florence.

Cape Blanco

The weather was not at its best during this trip, but when you live on the coast you can't let that stop you! Fog and mist have a certain charm of their own. I bet the view from the top of the lighthouse is incredible, and I plan to go back and see it on a clear day.

Not all of the lighthouses along the coast are open to the public or even accessible to view. Plus, even those you can tour don't generally let you get close to the actual light lens. It was incredibly beautiful to watch the lens rotate around and around and around.

The stairs up-


The lens-


We stopped in Port Orford to see the view and watch them load ships. It is home to the only 'dolly dock' on the West Coast, where vessels are launched and retrieved using the crane, and housed on homemade dollies when not fishing.

This picture was taken from the car(obviously). It was fascinating to watch them lift the boat out of the water and place it on the dollie--


Heceta Head
It is said to be the most photographed lighthouse in the United States. It's no wonder why.

This picture was taken at a pull out along highway 101-
The day was hazy and I need to add a tripod to my camera gear. The picture doesn't do it justice.

The Heceta Head Keeper's House is perched on a cliff with a magnificent view of the Pacific Ocean and the beach below. Paths from the Keeper's House lead both to the beach and to the lighthouse.




Along the trail to the lighthouse-



The lighthouse itself is due to be restored back to its original grandeur this summer. The lower windows will be returned to their original state which will make such a difference. We'll have to make another trip to see the restorations.

View of the keepers house from the top of the lighthouse-

View from the beach-


To get to Heceta Head lighthouse you pass the largest sea cave in the world. The Sea Lion Caves. I've heard about it, read about it, drove passed it on 101 a few times and finally, this time we actually stopped to check it out for ourselves. The ticket to see the cave was fairly expensive but I think it was worth it for three reasons:
-The cave was pretty incredible and more sprawling than I initially expected it to be

-the view of the lighthouse(Heceta Head is that close) from the cave was really beautiful too, framed by the cave walls and little waterfall.

-Places like these are worth viewing at least once in a life time.


We ate at Mo's in Florence on our way back home. The clam chowder was particularly good that day and everyone fell asleep but Mother and me on the rest of the drive home.

We we're so busy having fun that bed time was always a bit later than usual.
One night when I checked on the boys before bed I found them both tucked in together in Sammy's bed-


Evie has been teething and so the extra pairs of arms to hold her were greatly appreciated.
Grandma holding Evie-


Other things we did-
-Enjoy the trails at John Topits park
-Visit the candy store(Cranberry Sweets & More)
-Make lots of yummy food
-My mother and I had lunch at the Coach House and went shopping. (We purchased matching sweaters:)
-I was thoroughly spoiled
-Easter baskets and an egg hunt(I'll write about later)
-Played games
-Watched movies

Last weekend Ryan and I took complete advantage of the live-in baby sitters and we escaped! (To Eugene). We left Friday afternoon and returned Saturday night. A much needed reprieve for the two of us. It was a particularly fantastic weekend. We shopped, went to dinner, saw a movie, stayed up late and slept in even later. It was rejuvenating! Then, because I'm extra spoiled we went to WICKED. We bought tickets in January for the showing and couldn't believe how lucky we were that my parents wanted to come visit at the perfect time. The show was incredible and so fun. The costumes were beautiful and the set was so creative. I really enjoyed it. Plus, after the show we got to have dinner with our friends, the Swensens. Another happy coincidence that they were at the very same showing of Wicked.

It really has been a fantastic April. There were so many magical moments I can barely remember them all now. I am so grateful my parents could come visit. I love them so.

1 comments:

Emily J. May 2, 2011 at 9:28 AM  

I love reading about all of your adventures!!! So glad your parents were able to visit. I look forward to family too.

Post a Comment

There are...

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP