Potty Training 101
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
{Warning!! This post does contain foul potty language}
My Samuel has mastered the toilet! I want to scream my happiness from someplace very high! It has been at least 1 week since I've changed a poopy diaper.(Note: I do still have Russell's to change) I really can't describe the freedom I feel...my life is sweeter, my time better spent, my house less stinky. Well, why are you still sitting there? Seriously, get up and dance with me. It's celebration time!
Why, you might ask, did it take me till now to potty train my child? My only response would be... Sam wasn't ready. In fact he refused entirely. After trying 2-3 times I finally dropped it. No forcing, no bribing. Okay kid, you let me know when you decide you are going to be a big boy. So, I waited, and waited, and yes, waited! Finally about 2 weeks ago I decided it was time to try again. So, we got out the little undies, filled a jar full of little candies(Skittles) and told Sam that if he used the toilet he would get a piece of candy...every time. Yes, every time. Oh ya, and the candy jar was in his view and on his level.
For the first couple of days we averaged 2 accidents per day. Reasonable? Very. But I had yet to see a bowl movement. Never before had Sam gone poo on the toilet. I had tried everything, I really did, bribes, threats(nothing drastic), actually putting him on the toilet every 30 minutes the entire day, but nothing worked.
This time though, I was determined and I think Sam could feel it. He knew he was only supposed to use the toilet but I think it scared him. So much so that he didn't go poo for 3 days...I was worried, and yet, still very determined. I was sure he was going to just go accidentally in his pants, or in the corner. I watched him like a hawk.
It happened day 3.
That evening we were having baths and I had just gotten him out of the bath. "I have to pee!" He said. Alright, so this was a good sign. I sent him back into the bathroom and told him to hurry back. A few minutes later he came running in yelling, "I poo Mom!" Sure, I thought as I followed him back into the bathroom. How many times had I peered over the edge of the toilet seat hoping I'd see poo inside? (Too many to remember) But there it was! Tada! Poo! Just like that. He was so excited, I was so excited and then I yelled to Ryan to join in on the excitement. Ryan immediately took him to the store and got him a sucker. His treat of choice. We'll support this habit as needed.
The rest dear reader...is history. From that moment on Sam has been potty trained. I admit we've had a tiny accident once and I am still rewarding a good poo with a good sucker. But really, it's done. I still sort of can't believe it. He was just ready. I had to wait.
I was going to write a short list of things to help myself for the next time I have to potty train. But I feel like all I had to do was wait. Plus, Russell is such a different soul I'm guessing he's going to be totally different. Hopefully he'll be ready sooner. I'm crossing my fingers.
5 comments:
wahoo! I'm dancing over here for you! (oh yeah, good job, Sam, too:)
hooray! I'm so glad for you and proud of Sammy! I'll bet he felt like the king of the moment with that poo in the toilet, mommy and daddy both celebrating his success, and a sucker of his own choosing! Way to go!
and hopefully Russell doesn't take the long route as well. :)
Yay! Believe me, I'm celebrating! :) Congrats Sammy buddy! Hope the party lasts a long time!
HOORAY!! What an awesome story. Good job Sam!
I am dancing. Yeah for Sam and rest of you.
Post a Comment