Sweet Musings...

Sunday, July 26, 2009

This week was a typical week for us.
We watched our favorite cartoons in the mornings before breakfast.(Curious George, Super Why, PBS etc)
Breakfast is our favorite meal, all except for Ryan, who chooses not to eat it.(Crazy loon) I love to make the kids pancakes or french toast for breakfast. They love it too.
Once a week we go to the library. I reserve new books for the kids every week and I've been reading them all of the Caldocott Honor Books. Lately Sam has been obsessed with Curious George books. I don't really like the series personally so I've been trying to get him to see the fun in other books. The library had a summer reading program that challenged the kids to read(or have read to them) 30 books during the months of June and July. I think Sam enjoyed reading all of the different books as much as I did. There's really something magical about having a new book to read, it's so exciting. We wrote down and kept track of all the books we read for the challenge and Sam turned his paper in for a prize on Friday. He was thrilled to have his name up on the wall at the library. They also gave him a certificate and coupons for free ice cream and such at the local businesses. My favorite part was that they gave him his own little book to keep from a selection he got to choose from. He choose The Little Rabbit by Judy Dunn. I remember reading it when I was a child and I've felt very nostalgic about it all week.
The library has a fabulous park adjacent to it. It has a running trail around a small lake, two age appropriate playgrounds and a fun water feature area. We usually combine our trip to the library with a trip to the park and spend some time playing in the water and on the park toys.


I've been lucky to make a few friends here in Augusta already. Eryn Rodgers whose husband is a fellow resident at the Medical College of Georgia with Ryan, has a sweet little boy named Tyler who is practically the same age as Russell. Sometimes we go swimming at their place in the afternoons and hang out just for fun.
We've also made some more recent friends that Sam will associate with through a Joy School. A few mother's and I are organizing a small pre-school for our 3-4 year olds and I look forward to both teaching the kids on my week and having a little one on one time with Russell when Sam is at school. Plus, Sam is super excited to "go to school" and I think he is going to love it.

Besides Monday family nights, the weekends are my favorite part of the week because Ryan is home. We spend most of our time taking care of household necessities like cleaning and maintenance but it's fun because we get to play together as well. Mom is nice, but Dad is fun. Or so, they tell me.

On Saturday we decided it was time to cut the boys hair. It was getting far too long and I had been putting it off because I don't know how to cut it properly. My good friend Bonnie who used to do it for me, now lives a LONG ways away. Sad, so sad. So we made the decision just to buzz their hair, keep it simple. In general, the boys cooperated. Sam had the most trouble because he was slightly afraid of the clippers but he survived and they both look great.

Russell hanging out this week. His long hair covers his ears and sometimes gets in his eyes.

Playing after the cut. He loves his tooth brush. I love the new look, clear of crazy hair.

This pictures shows a few of his teeth. He's got 3 and 3 more are coming in, all at the same time. Poor baby, it makes him so sad some days. I can't wait for them to break through.

Sunday's seem to wrap up our week. We both serve in our new ward at church in different ways. Ryan is a leader for the 11 year old scouts and I teach in Primary. I was also just called today to serve on the Enrichment Committee, which, is funny because I have been part of Enrichment for the last 4 years. It's such a fun calling, and I look forward to more event planning and crafting projects that will inevitably follow in the next year.
I spend Sunday evenings reading and planning the week ahead. Since we live so far from family, we spend our Sunday evenings alone together. I guess most of our evenings are spent alone together but Sunday's feel like a special opportunity to spend extra time talking and being together before the week begins and we spend most of our time apart. So although we miss being with our families, I enjoy this time together a lot.

Our lives seem so blessed. I feel so lucky to have good health and happy kids. This isn't the first and I'm sure won't be the last time I say, "My cup runneth over." But I should like to add, "and it spills all over." I am so grateful.

6 comments:

heather July 27, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

My mom did Joy School for me when I was Sammy's age, and I LOVED it. I still have favorite songs from that time and laugh about how much I would bed Mom to listen to my Joy School tapes over and over again. Tapes! :) Wow ... good times. Glad to hear things are going well!! Those boys are sure cute!

heather July 27, 2009 at 12:27 PM  

whoops ... 'bed' was supposed to be 'beg' ... not quite sure what happened there! :)

cambersue July 29, 2009 at 10:50 PM  

we've been going to the library a lot...which is a new thing to me.:) surprise...surprise! anyway we've been checking out movies...books too, and wow what a plethera of stuff to borrow for free! you should have told me about these places!

Ariel July 30, 2009 at 2:38 PM  

I just talked to you today, but I thought I would take a look at your cool life in GA. Well, I must say it looks cool. I like Russ' new hairdo.

Clan Andreasen July 31, 2009 at 12:00 PM  

That little water park looks like lots of fun! I can't believe how fast our little ones grow!

Prosper 1st Primary August 5, 2009 at 10:41 PM  

It sounds like you are loving it there. GA looks pretty cool and it is so green. You are such a good mom to read so many books to your children. I miss you and hope all is well. ) Take care. I do like Russell's new hair I am tempted to do that with Tray's.

Post a Comment

There are...

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP