Long distance blues
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Over the past 5 years we have lived at least 1,700 miles or more away from family. The initial transition and move was a bit of a pain, in the heart that is. I think it took me 6 months or more to be okay with the distance and not feel too sad when I spoke to everyone on the phone. After the 1st year ended I realized one day that I had become used to the separation. Although I always miss my family and that experience of living close by I also feel like my own family has grown together because of it.
After a few years passed by, we started thinking about where our family wanted to live more permanently. Closer to family was #1 on the list, although after some research it became very apparent that NEXT door(as in the same city) was not going to happen. We expanded our search and came to the realization that living even in the same STATE was going to be impossible unless we wanted to give up number 2 and 3 on the list and maybe even 4 and 5. I think this was one of the hardest decisions Ryan and I have ever made together. How do you weigh all your options when it comes to family? Isn't it #1 for a reason? I had many sleepless nights worrying about what we should do.
To be honest, even after making the decision I still worry about it.
It is helpful to be united in our decision. Which was to move "closer" to family but also somewhere where we felt we could accomplish our goals in Ryan's professional career AND our family goals. "Closer" of course, is relative. So, although we are now within a day's drive, that day is kind of long. This in and of itself was not a shock. Of course we knew how far away it was, but what I didn't realize was how inherently final it would feel when we moved somewhere permanent.
-I am not close enough to attend All birthday celebrations.
-Sunday night dinners with everyone will never be a tradition for us.
-Grandma & Grandpa are not available to babysit when we need a date night.
-Hanging out with my siblings, just because, is a dream that for now, isn't coming true.
This list can get long so I'll stop there. It can also become my little black rain cloud if I let it, but I don't. I don't know if it's because we don't regularly see our family but the time that we DO get together is pretty special. Parties, and get-together's, celebrating holiday's and spending precious time together can be pretty magical and heartwarming.
Although at times I get the long distance blues for my family I am so grateful to live close enough to go and visit more regularly and to live in a vacation destination so that visiting us is a good time too:)
I've been meaning to write in more detail about our recent trip to visit family but I've been putting it off till I got those long distance blues. I get them after every trip. So this time I delayed going over these memories until I needed the boost in moral. Today it hit me and all I needed was to look at these photos and the blues disappeared...
The reason for the trip was for Ryan to go hunting with his dad and brothers. We went up and visited their campsite for a day before the hunt started. We saw the sights, shot some guns, and ate some yummy food.
Here's Sam digging Grandpa a pool.
Sam learning the art of rifle shooting
Russell snuggling with Grandpa while sitting around a smoldering fire pit. Have I mentioned Russell is frightened of anything unpredictable? (dogs, fire, strangers, playing Don't Eat Pete)
Evelyn chillin' with Grandma.
Russell is also slightly obsessed with DVDs and video game cases. He likes to carry them around with him. If he looks unhappy in this photo that's because he IS. That dang smoking pit was terrifying.
A pretty view from our explorations in the hills.
Russell did eventually calm down and play in the dirt. A completely predictable substance.
I am pretty sure this is the cutest dirty boy I know. That hair is rockin' awesome.
Why not get even messier with smores?
He just eats the chocolate off. He is definitely a chocolate fiend like his Dad.
Sam was so excited to teach Grandma Jeri how to play Mario Cart. He had been practicing for weeks. I love this picture because their faces are pretty serious about this race they're racing:)
Evelyn and I picnicking at the "Train" park in Brigham City.
Sam making faces at the camera.
Russell and Grandma Jeri enjoying the picnic too.
Sam doesn't really like to drink milk. These cups at Grandma Janet's were perfect for blowing milk bubbles.
Visiting our neighbor's the Olsen's is exciting. They have a beautiful pond and quite a few Koi fish. They were pretty incredible and if you stuck your hand into the water they would suck on your fingers. It was both weird and fascinatingly fun.
Dave showing Sam not to be afraid of the fish.
Miss Sophie & Miss Evelyn lounging together on the floor.
Evie & Aunt Belle
One of the best parts of our trip was that fact that we got to be there for Christa's Golden birthday. She turned 30 on the 30Th of September. We had a Fiesta with family and friends. It turned out really well. I think she had a great time.
Colorful cupcakes for the birthday girl.
Cupcake detail
Tent decorations made the party feel festive.
In true fiesta form we served chicken tacos and Nachos! The food was fabulous-Thanks Mom for making that possible.
Even the boys thought the food was good.
There was dancing, done mostly by Sophie Bean. This girl has got some kickin' moves.
Sam enjoying his 2ND cupcake.
Russell whined all day for this cupcake...was it as good as he hoped...I think the eyes say it all.
Rachel and Christa. My beautiful sisters.
Christa blowing out her birthday candles. Audrey was her helper.
Christa is a runner. Not like I am a runner, no. She runs half marathons, full marathons and other races. I run up the street and back.
Miss Audrey likes her picture taken. "Take a picture of me with these pretty roses Aunt Jessica." -Audrey
I think she looks beautiful.
Grandma Janet holding Evelyn. She did this for most of the party that night. It made it easier for me to take care of things for the party. Thanks Mom.
What is a fiesta without a pinata?
The kids carrying around the burrow's head full of candy. Morbidly funny.
Me with the birthday girl.
Sophie and the sombrero.
Nate and the sombrero... with Christa.
Ole!
Sam and Audrey enjoying their cupcakes. It was Sam's 3rd(maybe 4th) can you tell?
Christa Belle with all the cousins.
Another shot of Christa Belle with Evie.
My sisters and I. Thanks Rachel for co-throwing the best fiesta I've ever been to.
Audrey holding burrito Evelyn.
Lauren holding burrito Evelyn. Love the scrunched nose smile Lauren Lou. She was my little helper the entire trip. She loved baby Evie and was almost always by her side.
This is a great shot of all the cousins eating popcorn and watching a movie together.
Last, but not least. Getting to see BFF's. I've known these girls since 4th? 5th? grade. Seriously. Love you.
7 comments:
That was the best Birthday celebration ever. I had so much fun and I couldn't have asked for it to be any other way! It was SPLENDID!
I love all of the pictures on the post. What a fun time you had when you were here. Miss you
Such great pictures! I can't wait to take some next week and post about OUR trip to see YOU! Love you!
So important you know that these blues apply to us as well. It was a fabulous time seeing you and it always feels like we never skipped a beat when you are back. Miss you and cant wait to see you again!
I wish you had been able to visit when we actually lived in Brigham City. Sure miss you and I am with you and the long distance blues. I hope it gets easier with time!!!
I hear you about being far away. But it sure makes things sweeter when we are together.
You look fantastic in your pictures
That post is awesome. I'm pretty sure those would be my exact same words with regards to homesickness and the internal fight about where to "settle down." Seriously, to a T. Why does Utah have to be so packed with the letters DDS? Not cool!
So many in your same boat. Hang in there. HUGS!
That gorgeous birthday party (decor/cupcakes) had your name all over it! COMPLETELY ditto with the missing family thing - everything you said . . . hanging out with siblings, Sunday dinners, date night, etc. But, as you mentioned, there is something to be said for being a days drive away. Even if that drive feels sort of impossible with kids, you know if you just HAD to see with your family, you could be.
Post a Comment