55 hours

Sunday, November 28, 2010


That's how many hours we drove in the car over the past 2 1/2 weeks. To say it was too long in the car would be, well, an understatement, but we would do it all over again if we needed to. Some things are important.

We traveled to Utah to attend another funeral of another beloved grandparent. It seems it was a time for funerals and a time for reflection. -about 55 hours of reflection.

In all honesty the drive wasn't bad. The kids did reasonably well and although we were not particularly thrilled over the reason for the trip, we were thrilled to see family and the trip was great. I should add though that if it's at all possible I would rather like to avoid eulogy's for a while. They make me cry.

After our trek to SLC we dropped the kids off with my parents. Thanks to them we were able to not torture the children with 10 extra hours of driving. (Thanks Mom and Dad. A true sanity saver. I love you) Because we left the kids with my parents we were able to caravan to Monticello with Ryan's siblings. It worked out well and was a lot of fun too. We rolled into bed that night after 15 hours of driving very grateful for our safe travels.

The following day we attended the funeral for Ryan's grandfather, Grandpa Bailey. I certainly don't feel like I'm qualified to write much about him. I have only known him for 8 years, but I do know some things. I know I love him and that his family is his greatest joy. He talked about how much he loved his children and grandchildren every time we saw him. He is eccentric and thoughtful and I know he will be dearly missed. I feel privileged to have been able to be there as his family and those closest to him celebrated his life. My sister-in-law described it best when she told me "It's the empathy I feel for those closest to the deceased that makes a funeral so hard." Watching family say goodbye to a loved one is grievous and unsettling. It's hard to say goodbye even when you know it's not forever.

The Bailey family is boisterous, animated, colorful and fascinating.
I love them.
I love that they are kind.
I love that they are nutty.
I love a good story, and how there's always one to be told.
The funeral was an open expression of all their wonderful qualities and their true connection to someone they all loved deeply. We attended the funeral service, the graveside service and afterward, a luncheon.

At both of the funerals we've been to over the past few weeks, the eulogy's have been given by an immediate family member. My mother at my grandmother's and my father 'n law at Ryan's grandfather's. I really admire both of them for a job well done. I imagine it was a very hard thing to do and maybe even harder to decide what to include and say about someone they loved so much.

I took a few photos after the funeral for keepsake

Pall Bearers after funeral service



Pall Bearers




At the graveside

Ryan graveside

After the grave dedication. Grandma with Kirk


Amanda & Jeri

Grandpa Bailey's brother with his wife after the luncheon

Silly Emily--always a good time


Same trip separate thoughts



We were drawn to an abandoned home. A dream gone bad I suppose. It looked like a castle gone awry and unfinished.



Can you see the horses head?... Really? are you sure? I hope you're not just saying you see it so I'll leave you alone...

There it is!

We missed the worst of the weather but the ride home was still treacherous.

Our car covered in ice.

5 comments:

Bonnie November 30, 2010 at 11:53 PM  

Hi Jessica! I was at a funeral this week too, for my grandpa. Bittersweet. Thank goodness for family.
P.S.- We are having a BOY!

cambersue December 1, 2010 at 3:43 PM  

oh man...you guys are troopers.

Unknown December 6, 2010 at 7:21 PM  

I looked and stared, and there was no horse. I don't know what Rachel was talking about... j/k

Jeff and Lea December 10, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

The horses head! That is so awesome. Were you driving by and just spotted it?

Post a Comment

There are...

Let's Sail Away

Let's Sail Away
Catalina Island New Year's 2008/2009

Florida Keys June 2009

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP