Two car drives and a Funeral

Monday, November 15, 2010


We left early Friday morning and began the drive to Sacramento CA for my grandmother's funeral. For obvious reasons I felt anxious about the trip. I would say that attending funeral's are on my 'dislike' list but that would be completely untrue. I dislike the separation from a loved one that death brings and why we have a funeral but I really like celebrating the life and happiness of someone I knew and loved.

After almost 8 hours of driving we pulled into the parking lot of the Funeral home. We had made it in time to attend the viewing. I'm sure we all looked a bit frazzled and tired from the trip but we were happy to have made it and truly glad to be greeted with smiles and hugs from family we hadn't seen for a while.

Viewing's cause my palms to sweat and my heart to beat irregularly. I find nerves where I didn't know I had them as I contemplate whether I really wish to view someone I love after they have passed on out of this life. I was reluctant, but oddly enough Samuel was especially curious about my Grandmother and repeatedly asked when we were going to see her. So he made the decision for me. His desire to see her but adamant refusal to do so without me made it pretty clear. Samuel's curiosity and questions during our trip helped keep my own emotions and feelings at bay as I did my best to explain to him the concepts of death and the funeral. I was grateful many times for his innocent wondering of things as it made my own contemplation even more meaningful.

My Aunt Janice was so kind and let us bunk at her place for the 2 nights we were in town. Staying at the farm was fun and the accommodations were such that we didn't have to stress about bothering others with our 3 children at night. The kids did great though and we all slept very well. Note to self--- when you own some land and have a small 'farm'(term used loosely) do not get a rooster. Ha.

The funeral service was on Saturday. From the very beginning of the trip I felt a little bit like we were crashing an all adult party with our children. It was a worry based only on my own obsessive tendencies and not ever on any action or word from other people. Still, I felt extremely self conscious about it. We were rewarded with some exciting moments, like when we were encouraging Russell to be quiet during family prayer before the service began and he kept announcing loudly "NO, I don't want to be quiet." for almost the entire prayer. Or my favorite, after the service was over and they were wheeling the casket out of the chapel and Sam asked me very loudly "Hey! Where are they taking your Grandma?!"
I really do not want to forget that and so I write it here so I never will. Although I stressed about having the children there, for me it made things feel realistic and really put everything into perspective. A baby's face is such a beautiful thing at a funeral caused by age.

The services were beautiful. I especially liked the Eulogy my mother gave and I almost made it through without crying. When my mother cries it's like an automatic tap goes off in my own eyes and there's nothing to stop it. I personally thought my mother did an amazing job and only struggled with emotions once. She wanted it to be perfect for her mother and it was.

We had a small luncheon after the services. I'm sure it was the Relief Society of my Grandmother's ward and friends who provided all of the food. What a wonderful service they did, cooking and preparing everything for us. It's small acts like this that really buoy up my testimony of the Relief Society program. During and after the luncheon I did my best to take some photos. I realize that most people would not think to bring a camera to such a function but I really felt inclined to try to record a little bit of the weekend with photos. So although it may have been a bit annoying I am so glad to have these photos.

(Meet and greet after the services
)

(hungry boys at the beginning of the line)

Aunt Doreen and Ralph

Mom and Mike

Peter, Mary, John & Henry

Mary & Janice with people I do not know

Ray & Nick

My man Ryan

Mother & Evelyn ( I love love this photo. Her blue eye's stand out against my mother's hazel eyes. They are both so beautiful)

Doreen & Mike (They matched beautifully I thought)

James, John, Mike, Isaac(Mary's son) & Mary

Me & Mike

Janice's children- Mary, Peter, Ray, James, Micheal, John

Me & Mother

Us again

Ryan & Evelyn

My Mother with her siblings.
Janice, Mother, Allen

Group shot. From Left to Right: Ryan & Evelyn, Dad, James, Peter, Doreen, me, Mother, Mike, Mary, John, Nick, Ray, Isaac, Allen

Always a good time

Mike, Me & Peter

Boy Aren't they handsome! Peter, Nick, Ray, James & Mike

Doreen and Russell. She learned very quickly that the way to Russell's affections is through ample offerings of Chocolate milk!

This picture is priceless. Everyone was exhausted and these two curled up together for a nap. Russell with Dad


Saturday night was spent playing games and having fun. It's always a good time hanging out with my cousins and I loved every minute of it.

We headed home Sunday Morning and after another long 8 hour drive we arrived home safe and sound. The car rides were uneventful and even, dare I say, pleasant for a drive with 3 children under the age of 5. What a blessing that was.

My grandmother's life was beautiful, truly well lived and very inspiring. I am so grateful for her incredible example of creating & having a life worth living. She always did what she knew to be true and did her best to help so many along her path. Thank you Grandma, I love you.

3 comments:

Beazer November 16, 2010 at 8:29 AM  

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of loved ones, but you are right about the healing effects children can bring during those times. I think holding a grandchild has helped my mom through the loss of both of her parents.

Josh and Shalae November 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM  

Wow you wrote that beautifullly! She sounds like she was a wonderful woman! I'm glad you were able to go. I'm also sorry to hear about Ryan's grandpa. If you need anything please let me know. It's hard living so far apart but really I'll do whatever I can! Love you and praying for your family:)

Mandy B November 16, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

That was beautifully written and it made me tear a little bit... wait that's just something in my eye. No, I have tears. :) I guess cause I am getting ready to write about GGpa Bailey and it was a very emotional last visit. I have a hard time at funerals mostly because my empathy to the pain of others makes me cry. I mourn the loss of the loved one, but know, especially when they are elderly and sick, that they are in a better place. But for those of us left, it's tough. Hope to see you Friday, but if not, you guys are loved. What a tough couple of weeks for you.

Post a Comment

There are...

Let's Sail Away

Let's Sail Away
Catalina Island New Year's 2008/2009

Florida Keys June 2009

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP