The Gratitude Project
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Phase: A temporary manner, attitude, or pattern of behavior
I feel like I go through phases. Phases of my everyday life.
The happy phase: Life is sweet, full of smiles and everything is great.
The content phase: Life is full, and wonderful and perfect.
The hectic phase: How am I going to accomplish all that I have to in my day?
The bored phase: The same thing everyday-feed the kids, bath the kids, play with the kids, clean the house, make dinner, sit down for 30 seconds, repeat.
The bitter phase: What could I be doing if I wasn't taking care of kids all day long?
The flustered phase: Are these kids even hearing a word I say? Seriously, I mean really?
The grateful phase: I am so glad I can have children, and stay home and take care of them. What could be better than a sweet kiss and a silly smile? I can't think of anything.
Some days I go through every single phase. But some days, I'm sorry to admit, I seem to get stuck in the bad phases for too long. Selfish thoughts start to creep in and I start daydreaming about sleeping 8 hours in a row, going to the store by myself, or spending the entire day doing what I want to do. I don't believe I'm alone in this and I realize that just like the phases I'm talking about, this phase of my life with small children will pass -and all too quickly.
I laid in bed last night thinking about how I really need to figure out how to spend more time in the good phases. My mind seemed to center on my gratitude phase and the song "Count your many Blessings" started playing in my head.
1. When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.
[Chorus]
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your blessings;
See what God hath done.
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your many blessings;
See what God hath done.
2. Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings; ev’ry doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.
3. When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you his wealth untold.
Count your many blessings; money cannot buy
Your reward in heaven nor your home on high.
4. So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged; God is over all.
Count your many blessings; angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.
Text: Johnson Oatman, Jr., 1856–1922
Music: Edwin O. Excell, 1851–1921
I couldn't help but be inspired. There's no better way to send those bad phases fleeing than to spend my day looking for the one thing I'm most thankful for that day. It sounds a bit cheesy, now that I write about it, but I'm determined and convinced this will help my fleeting good phases:)
So there is nothing new about a gratitude journal. Except maybe that I plan to write down one thing I am thankful for every day. I have about 199 days until Thanksgiving. That will be my goal, so I can have a future date set to make it to. If by chance you too feel inspired to do something similar, join me! (big assumption people are actually reading this) Either in the comments section or in your own journal. Or just drop by every once in a while if your interested in seeing what I'm thankful for every day.
8 comments:
I'm grateful for opportunities to help others. Today I feel like I was given a couple surprise chances to be there for a friend.
coincidence: I picked that song last night for FHE to help me remember the same things!
It will it will it will. Good for you. (and you're on my reader, so I look forward to a message each day.)
Can I be grateful for how the top of Clark's feet are black from crawling around outside. And also the smell of sunscreen :) Thanks
Great post! I feel the exact same way. Those dang phases! :) It was SOOOOO great to talk to you last night! Thank you for calling :)
I am grateful for my children, too. With Aaron gone, it's been so easy to focus on how much free time he has and how he gets to do what he wants, and sleep, and not have someone pulling on him all day long. I have plenty of times where I feel like I'm just not holding this down well, at all. Mother's Day was a really good day. We all had a great time, relaxing, taking a walk, all kinds of nice stuff. I thought how I don't spend enough time thanking my Heavenly Father for them, and recommitted myself to making sure they know how much I love them.
So, today we went to the mall to exchange a pair of pants, and when I walking into The Children's Place, I lost Libby. I thought she was right behind me, and about three minutes after I got into the store I realized she wasn't with me. At first I thought she was hiding (she likes to hide in the racks), but I realized quickly that that wasn't the case. I told the clerks I couldn't find her, and ran out into the corridor, calling for her as loud as I could. Just as I started to panic (I was thinking of that movie, The Deep End of the Ocean,) I saw her, about 8 stores down, with a mall employee who was crouched down helping her.
It was only a few minutes, but in that time I thought of all the times the last few weeks that I've yelled at her, or thought how troublesome she can be, or how I don't feel like I can get through to her half the time. Basically, all the things that make me feel like a terrible mother at times.
I am so grateful she was okay; so grateful that she just wandered off and couldn't find me; so grateful that nobody stole my sweet, spunky girl, and that Heavenly Father saw fit to let me keep being the imperfect mother that I am and is still letting me keep her and doing my clumsy best.
Whew that was wordy. You inspired me. I totally endorse this endeavor of yours.
Good on you sister! I have a friend who took an idea from a book by Gretchen Rubin. So, we have been doing the Happiness Project and trying to spread it around. Every month, we write down one thing that makes us happy and do more of it, one thing that makes us sad and do less of it, and one trait we'd like to work on. I think we all could do with a little more "Pollyanna" in our lives. :) I know I could.
Thank you! I needed this post really bad today! I have been stuck in a rut lately and I think I'm going through all the phases you mentioned. I am going to take you up on your suggestion and do my own gratitude journal. I hope it works:) Thanks and good luck!
I love that song. I sing it regularly!
I am thankful for the sun that is shining today. I have missed it!
Oh and I am thankful for my sturdy feet!
I have loved reading your gratitude journal! Thank you for sharing it with us all - it is really easy to get stuck in a bad phase. They seem a little magnetic if you even entertain a little thought, and it's good to remember that we have to be proactively looking for the positive things and purposefully enjoying life and all it's craziness. Thank you for your example!
Post a Comment