Something I've always wanted...

Sunday, June 13, 2010

... was a hydrangea bush. A big beautiful bush with blue blossoms. So, as soon as I moved somewhere were the climate coincided with this wish I went out and got myself a small bush and planted it in my favorite pot.


After learning a little about hydrangea bushes, I knew that the PH of the soil is what determines it's color and so I proceeded to try and encourage my bush to produce blue blossoms by lowering the PH in the soil.

After a few weeks my hydrangea was not looking very happy. I was doing my best to take care of it but it was fading before my eyes. Even the single blossom had turned from pale blue to white and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I was pretty much heart broken when it lost all of it's leaves and seemed to die. I ended up putting it on my back porch and forgot all about it...until spring.

One morning I opened my blinds and was shocked to see little buds growing all over the once dead looking branches. Really?! What luck! I was going to get another chance. So, instead of trying to alter the soil I just let it be and made sure I kept it watered. Sure enough, despite all my gardening faults it started looking really happy and one day I noticed it was starting to blossom. Not just one blossom like before, but a lot of blossoms. Oh, I was giddy.
I am grateful for this beautiful plant that makes me smile every time I pass it. It now sits proudly on my front porch and I even cut myself some blossoms the other day. I just love that it's turned into such a happy plant and I didn't do anything. Some day I will try again to get my idyllic blue blossoms, but for now, I'm loving the beautiful pinks and purples.

2 comments:

Unknown June 14, 2010 at 1:29 PM  

Gorgeous. I ADORE hydrangea too!

Mandy B June 14, 2010 at 5:23 PM  

I am super jealous! All 4 hydrangeas that Matt bought me died. Or got eaten. We finally bought a hydrangea vine (?) And apparently there are a lot of bushes around here, but the weather makes them small bunches of flowers instead of the beautiful big bunches. Yours are beautiful!! (Try putting some rusty nails in the soil. Supposed to lower PH)

Post a Comment

There are...

Let's Sail Away

Let's Sail Away
Catalina Island New Year's 2008/2009

Florida Keys June 2009

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP